1. Go to www.gpg4usb.org and click on download. See figure below:
2. Once the next screen loads, under the Download section click the zip file to download it.
3. Go to the location where the file was downloaded and extract all the contents of the zip file. In this example I saved the zip file to my desktop and I will be using the native Windows functions to extract the contents. Right the zip file and click on "Extract All..."
4. Change the location to extract if desired. In this example I will leave it as it is. I like checking the option "Show extracted files when complete", then click on "Extract"
5. Copy the gpg4usb folder to a USB drive to any location, I would strongly recommend to download the PortableApps Platform and install that into the USB drive. This will create a folder structure on the USB drive with locations for documents, photos, videos and for portable application. It will also install an application launcher.
6. open the gpg4usb folder and double click on "start_windows.exe"
7. If prompted by the Security Warning, uncheck "Always ask before opening this file" then click "Run", otherwise this message will be prompted every time the program is opened.
8. Choose the language for the application or leave it on default, then click on "Next"
9. Click on "create a new keypair"
10. Click on "Create New Key"
11. Fill out the information in the "Generate Key" window, The Name, Email, and Comment will be visible to other people when the public key is shared. So keep that in mind when filling out the information. Since I did not wanted to display my information I filled it out with test information. Selecting the KeySize is important, the higher the number the better and most secure it will be but the longer it will take to create the key. In this case I chose the maximum. Enter the password, the password will be used to decrypt messages so make sure not to forget it or all the encrypted documents that were encrypted with that public key will be LOST. Once everything is filled out click on "OK"
12. The following pop out screen will come out and depending on the KeySize, it will take a few minutes to create it.
13. Once its done click on "OK"
14. Uncheck "Open offline help", then click on "Finish"
15. The following window will open
That will be all for the installation of gpg4usb. In a following post, I will be explaining how to use gpg4usb to encrypt text and documents and I will also show how to decrypt documents.
Computer Tech, interest in gaining a greater knowledge about most subjects, specially computer related.